Unit of Competency:
Heavy Rigid Vehicle:
A Heavy Rigid Vehicle is a vehicle 8 tonnes GVM and above, with 3 or more axles, including truck & bus.
This course is designed to train drivers to a competent standard in both theory and practical, which will enable them to pass the relevant VicRoads testing criteria for theory, skills and practical driving in the category of Heavy Rigid.
Drivers participating in this course must have held a Victorian Car Licence for a minimum period of 24 months.
Your choice of non-synchromesh (18 speed Road Ranger) over an 8, 12 or 13 hour course (Depending on experience) or a 12 speed synchromesh gearbox over 5, 6 or 8 hours (Depending on experience)*
Hourly training is also available upon request.
Student/Instructor Ratio 1:1
- Applicants with on Medication or with a Medical Condition may require a medical Clearance from VicRoads prior to commencement.
- Applicants with an Overseas Licence must have written approval from VicRoads stating licence category eligible.
- Clearance from VicRoads may be required before any Training or Assessment may commence.
* VicRoads criteria will not allow training on international licences (except NZ). Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.
- Theory & Practical
- Road Law General
- Driving Tips
- VicRoads Theory Test
- Pre-operational checks
- 90-degree turns
- Braking distance
- Following distance
- Highway driving
- Lane Management
- Gear Selection
- System of vehicle control
- Maintaining safe speed/safe gap
- Correct use of accessories
- Cabin Inspection
- Load Restraint
- Theory Test (if applicable)
- Drive Assessment
- Skills Assessment (Reverse Test, Cabin Inspection, Vehicle Inspection & Load Restraint)
- Participants must hold a current, LR or MR licence and have held that licence for a minimum of twelve months. - Be proficient in the use of a manual transmission. - A person who holds a provisional P1 licence is not eligible for a HR licence.
Upgrading from a P2 Licence
Provisional P2 licence holders (who also hold a Class LR, MR or HR heavy vehicle licence) will remain a provisional licence holder until they have held the P2 licence for a minimum of 2 years and pass a Driver Qualification Test. There is no variation to this rule and an unrestricted licence will not be issued until the applicant complies with the requirements of the Graduated Licensing Scheme.
|HEAVY RIGID (SYNCHRO/AUTO)|
|Experienced ( 5 hrs ) $ 990.00|
|Novice ( 6hrs ) $ 1,165.00|
|Extreme Novice ( 8hrs ) – One Day $1,300.00|
|HEAVY RIGID (NON SYNCHRO)|
|Experienced (8 hrs) – One Day $1,400.00|
|Some Experience (12 hrs) – 3 x 4 hrs (3 days) $2,100.00|
|Novice (2 days) – 1st day free with passive learning – 2nd day One on One $1,350.00|
- 50% deposit is required upon booking. However the balance is to be paid before the course has been completed (Unless alternate arrangements have been made). - RMS Licence upgrade fees are not included. - Any extra time will be charged at a rate of $150 per hour for Light Rigid, Medium Rigid, Heavy Rigid, Heavy Combination & for Multi Combination its $175 per hour, however most trainees complete their training and assessment.
- 10% will be kept if a cancellation notice has not been received 48 hours before commencement of course date.